Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Reflection of Stereotypes

Today, I learned how a common trope among Latina women that is generally disrespectful towards them. What a day! I never knew about the general attire of Latina women and why they wore such revealing clothes; I figured they were just the "sexy women" of Latin America. As it turns out, their clothing is revealing not to portray a sexual innuendo, but because it is simply in their culture, as well as it merely being hot in that area. These women are seen in various types of media as eager to please and poor English speakers, which was something I, too, held in my mind whether I knew it or not. The text I read opened my eyes through the use of another's account, and I came to terms with how rude stereotypes can be if that is all one uses to define a group of people. I place stereotypes on my fellow African-Americans every day, my arrogance allowing it to pass, yet now I know the obvious faults of this. This day was an educational one, that is true!

2 comments: