Thursday, August 29, 2019

Watch Your Tongue

I was lucky to read "Mother Tongue" by Amy Tan, a well-known Chinese-American novelist, today. Within the essay, the author depicted the different types of English she spoke in and how it affected her every day life from how she perceives to how she was perceived. Amy speaks perfect English, unlike her mother, who speaks in what is referred to as broken or limited language. I enjoyed the outlook Amy took on her mother's quality, not seeing the fractured speak as poor, but as something unique. The fact that there is more than one type of English was a nice fact to discover. Not language wise, but in dialect. The British speak English, but their dialect is not like an American's, and an English-speaking Indian would have a different dialect than an English-speaking Russian. The lesson the essay portrayed was very enjoyable because of that insight.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend like that at my school and I always only thought about how cool it was that they spoke two languages, but not how having a family who doesn't speak English affects them. That's something to consider and I'll ask them about that. I may even Ms. Tan's essay as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well butter me up and call me a biscuit, glad you've been inspired! The author certainly has a few good reads!

      Delete