Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Litotes, Antithesis, and Hypophora: Devices With Ridiculous Pronunciations

After pulling from the bag of rhetoric devices, I left with three new terms that I actually have never heard of! Well actually, I have heard of antithesis before, but thought it meant a thesis that negated something, or an evil thesis. I had my reasons. Anywho, enough of what I thought, here is what I learned! From what I have garnered, litotes are basically understatements, but with a word choice that says the opposite of what is referred to. For example, if I say, "My dog is not the most ferocious creature," I am saying that she is very docile. I sure hope that makes sense, because I am still learning. Antithesis, which is not a malicious thesis, is the device used to bring out a contrast of ideas. The sentence, "Light is to purity as dark is to tainted," contrasts light and dark with each other, along with purity and tainted together. Lastly, I got to hypophora, and was surprised to know I use this device quite often, especially in this blog! What is hypophora. It is the act of asking a question, then later answering said question. It serves to inform and include the reader, and is typically used in speeches. Overall, hypophora was my favourite, while litotes were not, only because I need assistance. Rhetoric devices are actually pretty fun, though that may stem from my general liking of Language.

No comments:

Post a Comment