Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Being Smart? Being Talented? IT IS OVERATED!

I am the smart child. The gifted child. The golden star of my family. Ever since elementary, I prided myself in being "smart", in having straight A's, in receiving points for good behaviour, in being the best. I excel in my classes, I rival my classmates with a superb performance, I truly am a smart child. Failure is not an option, no one can beat me, I will not allow it. Not being the best means absolute failure - and failure is unintelligent. That is what I believed wholeheartedly. It pulsed through my veins and was my reason to live. Without the praise of my teachers and friends, without the knowledge that I have a higher grade than anyone else, I was nothing. But after watching a TED Talk that discussed being the "smart kid", I may have a different view. The video seemed to talk directly to me, hitting points that I could relate to and reflect on. I push myself too hard, I hold such high values on things that will not matter in a few years. Watching that video made me realize something, my obsession with perfection, talent, and intelligence will ultimately ruin my life. I can succeed without driving myself insane.

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you're an over achiever and what to be the best. I can agree from the post that you are pushing yourself to be above the rest. Everyone is not perfect. You are a bright and intelligent person and you can be successful without going insane just for being perfect. Continue being a successful person in life because I believe in you

    ReplyDelete